Formula One

(05-05-2024, 09:57 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Unfortunately F1, is viewed as a foreign sport. The US has a long history of NASCAR and Indy500-style motorsports. And even those are up against a wall of other summer sports. So starting up full coverage of F1 may be an up hill battle.

Before ESPN took over the rights in the US, NBC did their own coverage and had their own commentary team.

Did Sky Sports have any time to interview Lando Norris after his race win in Miami on Sunday?

I would take it that Lando was mobbed in Miami after he won P1 ahead of Max in the race.

Channel 4 didn't have any time to interview him at all after the race which is a shame. However they did show the reaction from the crowd who watched the race in the F1 Arcade in London after his victory. They were delighted when Lando won the race for McLaren.

I don’t think Australia’s ever had their own commentary, and they presumably wouldn’t see it as a ‘foreign sport’.

I think the point is if ESPN put together a team, it would be full of British voices and most of the leading voices are already working for Sky or Channel 4. So they’d be offering a worse version of the same thing that wouldn’t be very much more American apart from the branding. Let’s face it all the American broadcasters that show British football/European football (EPL + CL etc) are still using all British talent but that’s harder to replicate with F1 because the talent pool is much smaller.

I guess once F1 themselves offer world feed programming that’s on a par with Sky, they could then at least get something that’s not branded with a foreign broadcaster and presumably they could produce bits just for ESPN.

(06-05-2024, 03:20 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Did Sky Sports have any time to interview Lando Norris after his race win in Miami on Sunday?

I would take it that Lando was mobbed in Miami after he won P1 ahead of Max in the race.

Channel 4 didn't have any time to interview him at all after the race which is a shame. However they did show the reaction from the crowd who watched the race in the F1 Arcade in London after his victory. They were delighted when Lando won the race for McLaren.

He was interviewed in the pen, but I don't remember him getting a separate interview with Simon and the pundits.

(06-05-2024, 11:31 AM)dvboy Wrote:  He was interviewed in the pen, but I don't remember him getting a separate interview with Simon and the pundits.

Martin grabbed him for an interview as he was walking to the press conference. They said they were hoping to get him and inferred they were staying on air a little longer in the hope they would.

In the end Ted's Notebook came on air waiting for Lando to return to celebration at McLaren. They covered those celebrations and the returned to the usual notebook format reviewing the race. There was no additional interview there.

(06-05-2024, 11:38 AM)newsjunkie Wrote:  Martin grabbed him for an interview as he was walking to the press conference. They said they were hoping to get him and inferred they were staying on air a little longer in the hope they would.
The post race did stay on 15 minutes longer than scheduled and they included some of the press conference before moving over to Ted’s Notebook, which as you say contained the McLaren celebrations, with a shorter review of the other teams than they’d normally have.

(06-05-2024, 02:13 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Before ESPN took over the rights in the US, NBC did their own coverage and had their own commentary team.

Yeah i realize that. For them to provide all the post and pre race coverage and and all they do its got a long way to go. More importantly for it to be PROFITABLE its got a long way to go. Sports are cut-throat in the US because there are just far more available. In Europe the majority of sport centres around Football and then you do have other niche sports to fill it out (rugby cricket etc) . Unlike in the USA. Were you even have college sports (like the March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament...this year the womens game was massive) that can capture the entire countries attention. BUTS Its gotta make money.
The F1 Vegas race on the strip got some attention. But it barely registers nationally.
NCAA Womens Basket Final
Quote:The final game, between South Carolina and the University of Iowa , averaged about 18.7 million viewers and peaked at a whopping 24 million combined on ESPN and ABC, making it the first time in history that a women's final has drawn a larger TV audience than the men's, according to ESPN

F1 Vegas
Quote:Despite the overnight telecast, the highly anticipated Vegas race posted better viewership numbers than ESPN’s season-long average of 1.12 million viewers — down 9% from last season’s record 1.2 million viewers per race.

Do F1 offer a clean feed without the permanent results standing on screen? As a casual viewer feels like too much info that distracts from the actual action rather than ads to the viewing experience with interim updates a better way of tracking the race.

Is the way sport graphics seem to have gone too - I feel less is more really.

There is speculation online that Chicago; Illinois will be added to the F1 race calendar from 2026.

It is expected that the race in Chicago will be held at night. It will take place after the Canadian Grand Prix.

An official announcement from FOM will be made in the next few weeks.

www.telecomasia.net 

(06-05-2024, 01:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do F1 offer a clean feed without the permanent results standing on screen? As a casual viewer feels like too much info that distracts from the actual action rather than ads to the viewing experience with interim updates a better way of tracking the race.

Is the way sport graphics seem to have gone too - I feel less is more really.

Pretty sure Sky have switched to a clean feed temporarily to show their own graphics to prevent them obscuring anything else on the feed, so its probably only available to the broadcasters.

Although that being said, all the "top ten times <something happened in F1>" videos they shove up on YouTube, the more recent races where they're highlighting something that would have been covered in graphics is clean, but anything pre 1990s seems to have been harvested from various highlight programmes which may suggest they don't have those races clean, as IIRC it used to to be the host broadcaster who handled the whole affair before that became centralised so what got archives may vary.

The whole point of relaunching the graphics 20 odd years ago now was there wasn't enough information on them for anybody to follow what was going on, which was something they resolved to an extent and have continued to evolve ever since. It must be remembered though Liberty Media is an American company, and they must have taken inspiration from Indycar or Nascar racing as those sports are covered in copious amounts of varying stages of ugly (but very American) graphics as well, and applied it to the F1 coverage.