Irish TV Programmes

It's taken an age to get to this point, and when you read the article it says no final decision has been made. It's fairly likely that an election will take place before this is resolved so it becomes the problem of the next Government. Of all the issues that are currently facing Ireland this is way down the list, yet it's the one that seems to annoy a sizeable amount of people a lot. I'm not entirely sure keeping the licence fee is a vote winner and getting the revenue commissioners involved will only drive voters further away.

People really don't feel they're getting value for money from RTE, it's hard to find anyone outside of the organisation cheering it on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chinamug's post:
  • cando

Looking from this from the outside here in the UK - RTE to me seems to do better with their radio services than with television - RTE Radio 1 and 2FM are very decent services, and well worth the licence fee - Lyric FM is a mix of our BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM and seems to do a great job - seem they can't put the same effort and thought into their television services, which looking at their schedules does look complete rubbish.

Irish television as a whole I think has declined since the 00's.

Network 2/RTÉ 2 used to be one of the most watched channels in our house growing up, but I don't think I've watched anything on it in many years. Their comedy nights were always popular, they used to show a great selection of films, late evening music programming, US shows long before they appeared on UK channels and the GAA matches at the weekends. The schedule is so bland nowadays and RTÉ's on screen look for ONE and 2 is quite poor. Weird scheduling decisions for programmes crept in and made it even worse.

TV3 back in the day gave lots of new content their first run on Irish TV, but now they are Virgin Media 1/2/3/4 they just show the same programmes spread across 4 channels and repeated as nauseum. Looking at you "The Chase". Definitely quantity over quality television.

Speaking about the pres on tv, RTE2 at least has an identity, albeit one that’s quite stale - the pres is almost 10 years old and it’s the longest the channel has ever had in its history. Its problem is that it’s suffered death by a thousand cuts- while the pres reflects its old “youth” identity those programmes are now mostly gone from the schedule and it’s not clear outside of the sports and kids output who the channel is for. Looking at its prime time output and it seems to be mainly composed of imports that are fit around the sports.

RTE One has the opposite problem, while its programming is still strong, is a mess pres-wise - while the 2006 idents have now largely been retired (finally), it has elements of the 2014 mini-rebrand still remaining along with other stuff that has been introduced piecemeal in more recent years. It really needs a revamp now, but I don’t think it will get one, because RTE can’t really be seen to spend money on presentation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Jeff

(06-05-2024, 05:17 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Its problem is that it’s suffered death by a thousand cuts- while the pres reflects its old “youth” identity those programmes are now mostly gone from the schedule and it’s not clear outside of the sports and kids output who the channel is for. Looking at its prime time output and it seems to be mainly composed of imports that are fit around the sports.

That almost sounds like a case of deja-vu, really - considering how the original RTE2 ended up before relaunching as Network 2? (albeit, with the accent on children's and sports persisting to this day)

Well yes, and these things are cyclical when it comes to the second RTE channel. The 1988 and 1997 relaunches brought bold new identities that replaced tired old ones (and I say that noting that the RTE2 logo that Network 2 directly replaced only lasted a few months, but it was awful from the start!) but what is less remembered is that in both cases, with new pres came massive overhauls of the schedule and investment in programming. And I think that’s what’s more important. I don’t think it should ever be the case that RTE should ever again feel the need to distance itself from its second channel, as during the 1988-1995 and (especially) 1997-2003 eras when they essentially pretended it had nothing to do with RTE. (Remember “An N2 Production” and News 2?). But figure out what the channel’s audience is or should be, and centre both the programming and presentation around that.

Right now it’s got idents that come from another era and don’t match the programming. All the “yoof” stuff is gone apart from some vestiges. What’s left is sports, kids, and imports and repeats filling the gaps between sports and kids.

I fear that they have bigger fish to fry at the moment though than sorting out RTE2.

I don't think they will win it but for the first time in a long time Ireland are being talked about amongst the Eurovision favourites and wonder of the win were to happen what the reaction would be?

Based on the last year would RTE be able to afford it and would the Irish government of today support them to stage it, and if it did go ahead would it actually help to restore their reputation. Certainly feel like the BBC got a boost to their brand with their staying last year.

(10-05-2024, 02:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think they will win it but for the first time in a long time Ireland are being talked about amongst the Eurovision favourites and wonder of the win were to happen what the reaction would be?

Based on the last year would RTE be able to afford it and would the Irish government of today support them to stage it, and if it did go ahead would it actually help to restore their reputation. Certainly feel like the BBC got a boost to their brand with their staying last year.

It's very unlikely they'll win it, but I think they'd be very happy with a top 10 finish. If they did win reaction would be very positive I would think.

There no way RTE can afford it, it would have to be almost entirely Government funded (which it would be). RTE would be watched like hawks and every cent would have to be accounted for. A good show would be welcomed and those that put it together would be applauded, but it wouldn't do anything much for RTE's reputation.

The BBC had a strong brand going into the Eurovision last year. You got what you expected to get from the BBC. There may be complaints about the BBC on various levels, but it has a huge amount of goodwill both at home and abroad. The same can't be said for RTE. Most people under the age of 60 couldn't care less about it, (unless you're getting a wage from the Organisation)

Even today they've made another blunder. I wonder how many people in Cork will wait to watch the new season of the Young Offenders which won't air till next year on RTE, while it's available to 90% of Cork homes tonight on BBC 1.

Some of the cast from The Young Offenders are going to be interviewed about the new series on The Late Late Show.

Although; as this airing of the final Late Late show before going into the summer break; it is actually titled The Last Last Show on the graphics.

(10-05-2024, 10:09 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Some of the cast from The Young Offenders are going to be interviewed about the new series on The Late Late Show.

And Patrick Kielty encouraged viewers to watch it on BBC 1. Absolutely daft decision by RTE not to air it at the same time. Cuts had to be made but it was a stupid cut.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, chinamug, ethanjbrady