BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(Yesterday, 01:03 AM)lobster Wrote:  Very rude. Totally unfair to those who were working hard for a year (while some were being paid to stay at home)

Due to decisions made by management, not the affected individuals.
[-] The following 6 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Brekkie, London Lite, Rhys j, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(Yesterday, 01:03 AM)lobster Wrote:  Very rude. Totally unfair to those who were working hard for a year (while some were being paid to stay at home)

I took it to be a somewhat tongue-in-cheek remark to reflect that there are some relatively young and previously-inexperienced presenters who have been thrust into bigger roles as a result of the BBC’s poor handling of the presenter situation, such as relatively junior reporters presenting key UK hours when previously it would have been a seasoned ‘chief’ presenter. That isn’t to criticise those individuals, but rather the BBC’s reliance on them.

But there certainly have also been very many presenters (freelance or employees) who have the experience and ability, they’re just (somewhat) new faces to UK news channel audiences. I’m thinking people like Tanya Beckett, Lucy Gray, Nicky S, Samantha Simmonds, Sarah Campbell, Lauren Taylor, Tanya Beckett and Kylie Pentalow, not to mention those who I assume are full-time presenter-correspondents, such as Lewis Vaughn-Jones and Rajini Vaidyanathan.
[-] The following 5 users Like House's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Brekkie, ginnyfan, Rolling News, UTVLifer

The presenter/correspondent role seems to some what if an enigma….. have you ever seen Lewis Vaugh Jones out being a correspondent for any story?
[-] The following 1 user Likes GraemeT88's post:
  • JJJJ

Tanya Beckett is very well known to Uk she for a long time presented business breakfast, the world today and numerous other programmes and on CNBC.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, Michael 18

What I don't get was why more experienced staff weren't placed in the presenting chair more often.

The likes of Rich Preston who did nights before they moved to the US. And some presenters who moved to radio, why couldn't they be used as a backup?

That is not to say that some new faces we've seen and junior staff have been great. And I'd say that I'd prefer some of them to stay over permanent presenters. There's a few I find quite annoying, i.e. presenting doesn't come naturally and they were much better out in the field reporting on things, rather than stiffly reading off the teleprompt!

Happy we're moving back to familiar faces and better presentation as a whole. Let's just use the new touchscreen, tower, and catwalk more often!

(Yesterday, 08:58 AM)GraemeT88 Wrote:  The presenter/correspondent role seems to some what if an enigma….. have you ever seen Lewis Vaugh Jones out being a correspondent for any story?

I remember him one time being in Northern Ireland to cover the executive returning

(13-05-2024, 08:13 AM)Chud Wrote:  Who are these dozens of people?

Here are just a few. The fact I don't know most of their names says it all.

i.postimg.cc 

But let me make it clear, I did not mean any disrespect to any of them. In fact, most did a fine job, considering the circumstances and there were no major cock ups. BUT, there was this total shift in everything, after years and even decades of familiar BBC faces, which combined with the limited presentation and other technical issues made the whole operation look like an amateur hour.

Thankfully we have moved on and the channel is functioning again!
[-] The following 4 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Chud, DeMarkay, Moz

(7 hours ago)ginnyfan Wrote:  Here are just a few. The fact I don't know most of their names says it all.

i.postimg.cc 

But let me make it clear, I did not mean any disrespect to any of them. In fact, most did a fine job, considering the circumstances and there were no major cock ups. BUT, there was this total shift in everything, after years and even decades of familiar BBC faces, which combined with the limited presentation and other technical issues made the whole operation look like an amateur hour.

I was wondering who are freelancers and who are the report presenters. As you say they did a fine job and there have emerged some excellent presenters from the experience they have managed to gain.
Ps. The black straps look so much better than all red.

(7 hours ago)ginnyfan Wrote:  Here are just a few. The fact I don't know most of their names says it all.

i.postimg.cc 

I’m not sure that’s the evidence you think it is. Images one and 9 probably did a handful of shifts at most, image 12 did literally one shift as last minute cover between Xmas and new year, images 3,4,5 and 10 were appearing regularly prior to the merger (and image 7 as regularly before the merger as after it albeit infrequently in both cases), image 6 had done several studio stints over the past few years and is a very experienced correspondent and image 8 has never presented BBC News programming from London (and already covered Newsday prior to the merger).
Only images 7 and 11 could even remotely be considered to be new semi regular presenters since the merger who probably aren’t at the levels of talent and experience that had previously be seen on the channels.
I also think many on this forum purposely fail to remember that the channel has always had its share of less experienced presenters of varying ability levels (people like Reged Ahmad, Tom Donkin, Nkem Ifejika, Alpa Patel, Krupa Padhy, Daniela Ritorto, Nancy Kacungira and Lebo Diseko were hardly top class journalists or experienced rolling news presenters when they were appearing on the output).
[-] The following 2 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • arbrax, oscillon

In one of those pictures is Rich Preston who is not a freenlance and was already pre-merger on World News.

Anyway, the problem are not the freelancers. The problem is that we have freelancers while 3 or 4 presenters contracted by the BBC don`t have any screentime.