BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

(01-05-2024, 05:09 PM)simpfeld Wrote:  I think a biggest mistake here is not launching with apps on the key streaming platforms, Amazon Fire, Apple TV etc
Maybe just because they want a really soft launch, until they get all the Freeview channels out there, iron out bugs and maybe their CDN isn't fully capable of supporting this yet...
But the purpose of freely is to be the default method of connectivity on all tvs
…. And the smooth the switch off of DVB emmiision.

Also I expect that just as everyonetv does not code mux and emit freeview or freesat
They will not code stream and distribute freely
Incidentally the only uk broadcaster with their own CDN is the BBC =BIDI
(plus some third party)
All the others use third party CDNs including Sky who code and steam their platform.

(01-05-2024, 05:43 PM)Technologist Wrote:  But the purpose of freely is to be the default method of connectivity on all tvs
…. And the smooth the switch off of DVB emmiision.

Also I expect that just as everyonetv does not code mux and emit freeview or freesat
They will not code stream and distribute freely
Incidentally the only uk broadcaster with their own CDN is the BBC =BIDI
(plus some third party)
All the others use third party CDNs including Sky who code and steam their platform.

Sure, all true.
On the other hand, Freeview had set top boxes before TV's had built in Freeview tuners, even if it was initially to get the service established
in viewers minds.
More importantly, having to buy new stuff to get a service isn't great e-waste wise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes simpfeld's post:
  • bkman1990

Freeview launched in 2002 with TV and a declining number of STB
but increasing number of PVRs,
On/itv digital launched with STB because people were not going replace their TVs
just to get pay tv …. (And Sky just gave their boxes away )
And in day one there were 200 STB …

Freely proposition is that if you need a new tv “about now” you can get one which will work when DVB emission ends .. (but it will not probably receive any future DTT)
….. and it promotes the services from UK PSBs .
But STB will come later when it is clearer that your tv will last beyond DVB turn off
And hopefully it is built in open international standards …

I would hope it never launches as a traditional STB form factor, something more akin to a streaming stick or chromecast dongle or the old now tv black box would be suitable. I can't help but feel it's been over complicated with the DTT support. Sky Stream is a good template to base such as service. Getting broadcasters to put their services on LG channels and Samsung TV plus would also be beneficial, of course that is subject to commercial terms.

S4C’s confirmed as part of the offering.

www.s4c.cymru 

As its gotten away from the Freely topic a bit now, the discussion around the early Freeview/DTT hardware and software has been split into its own thread here:-

pres.cafe 

Thanks!
[-] The following 4 users Like Frappé's post:
  • AxG, Pete, Stuart, WillPS