The BBC Chameleon Thread

Oh I agree withn you. Also, EastEnders STILL has the 1997 BBC logo on their titles!

Jgriffin

(08-05-2024, 02:01 PM)Keith Wrote:  On Breakfast this morning just before 8am (may be on iPlayer) they did an interview/promo for The Responder.

At the end of which they showed a slide for it, which as well as using the old BBC logo used the old BBC One logo. It does make me wonder how the heck the old BBC One logo got used, considering any TV trailers for The Responder would have used the current channel logo. I can only assume that someone quickly knocked up a promo slide for it themselves, rather than sourcing something official from marketing.

They also did an interview with Liz Carr from Silent Witness (on Monday I think), about her new documentary about assisted dying then finished it off with exactly the same old BBC logo, old BBC One logo and old iPlayer logos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • Josh Griffin

They need to make up their minds!

Jgriffin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh Griffin's post:
  • Juicy Joe

(08-05-2024, 02:37 PM)Josh Griffin Wrote:  Wouldn't Chameleon work with the old logo?
This is something I've been wondering too. I do think it might work, but at the same time Gill is a very formal typeface, I think they may have to play around a little bit with the typeface to make it more fluid, like a cartoon smear.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • Josh Griffin

(09-05-2024, 08:40 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  This is something I've been wondering too. I do think it might work, but at the same time Gill is a very formal typeface, I think they may have to play around a little bit with the typeface to make it more fluid, like a cartoon smear.

I believe the original plan was to maintain the 1997 logo and it was changed last minute to the reith version.

I often wonder if this last minute decision is the reason that they missed the issues this logo has which the 1997 didn’t have when used in small sizes. The 1997 logo was designed because the 1988 logo didn’t work on screen and print and was expensive to print as it was 4 colour. The issue both the 1988 and2023 logos share is that at small sizes the counters in the B begin to disappears. Gills sans the counters are larger, and I believe that it was an adapted version as well.

There’s a number of examples of the 1997 logo being animated in a number of promos and one programme I can think of.

1) Top of the Pops 2003 intro had each block zoom in and pulse with the beat of the theme tune.

2) bbc music ident used before God Only knows has the blocks come in as if they are 3D glass before transforming into the logo.

3) At the end of the bbc where next promo at the end the blocks become 3d and transparent and fly towards the screen.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

The final product of the 1997 logotype was modified Gill Sans Medium which was effectively given a bulk up by one line, which aided it in legibility when reduced in size on screen.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mike's post:
  • AndrewP, harshy, Josh Griffin

I never knew that. That was very interesting

Jgriffin