Censored TV in the UK Thread

Sometimes I think it's suprising what doesn't get cut. Years ago when Channel 4 first got hold of the Simpsons, they showed an epiodoe where Herbert Powell comes back. There's one scene where Maggie sucks on his nose and Herbert says "You want to *four letter word* my nose". I'm surprised the four letter word wasn't censored out, especially since this was around 6pm!

I saw the episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where Data mentions that Ireland reunified years ago on Sky Mix, then known as Pick TV. I remember they left in Data's line, which surprised me, as I'd heard stories of the episode getting outright banned or being aired with the line cut.

Wikipedia says that Mr Bean cutting through Princess Diana's head while doing DIY was cut after her death, but I saw the episode on My5 (or whatever it was called back in 2013) and I thought I remembered they left it in.

Sometimes it's surprising when things do get cut out. On Monday I watched an episode of Bob's Burgers on ITV2 where Bob and his son, Gene, have fallen out and they start physically attacking each other on live tv. To put an end to things, Bob's wife, Linda, lifts up her shirt to show her breasts on camera. ITV2 then proceeded to cut out any shots of Linda exposing herself. However, even in the uncut version, we never see Linda's breasts - we only saw her from the back and the one time she's shown at the front, censor bars are covering her breasts. So I find it odd ITV2 would make a cut when nothing offensive was seen.

I've been watching reruns of Little Britain on That's TV. During the Christmas period, they showed Little Britian Abroad, where the sketches in part 2 with Vicky Pollard in Thailand and Ting Tong were cut. I don't understand why Vicky's scene was cut, and oddly enough she's still shown in the opening titles, and while on the one hand I understand why Ting Tong was cut (yellowface) That's TV also shows old episodes of Benny Hill and Kenny Everett. If That's TV shows those latter programmes uncut (please correct me if I'm wrong) then shouldn't That's TV have no problem showing Little Britain uncut as well? Then again, That's TV may have not had a say as to which cut of Little Britain they received.

Please excuse late replies. 

(08-05-2024, 07:38 PM)procrastination Wrote:  Sometimes I think it's suprising what doesn't get cut. Years ago when Channel 4 first got hold of the Simpsons, they showed an epiodoe where Herbert Powell comes back. There's one scene where Maggie sucks on his nose and Herbert says "You want to *four letter word* my nose". I'm surprised the four letter word wasn't censored out, especially since this was around 6pm!

Considering the word in question was "suck"... why would it be edited out?
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • strollfan

(08-05-2024, 07:38 PM)procrastination Wrote:  Wikipedia says that Mr Bean cutting through Princess Diana's head while doing DIY was cut after her death, but I saw the episode on My5 (or whatever it was called back in 2013) and I thought I remembered they left it in.

Why would that be on My5? You probably mean ITV Hub or whichever ITV station had inherited those repeats at the time (Mr Bean used to air on ITV3 in proper 4:3 and then when it moved to ITV2 had a fatal accident with a pan and scan machine)

Quote:I've been watching reruns of Little Britain on That's TV. During the Christmas period, they showed Little Britian Abroad, where the sketches in part 2 with Vicky Pollard in Thailand and Ting Tong were cut. I don't understand why Vicky's scene was cut, and oddly enough she's still shown in the opening titles, and while on the one hand I understand why Ting Tong was cut (yellowface) That's TV also shows old episodes of Benny Hill and Kenny Everett. If That's TV shows those latter programmes uncut (please correct me if I'm wrong) then shouldn't That's TV have no problem showing Little Britain uncut as well? Then again, That's TV may have not had a say as to which cut of Little Britain they received.

Little Britain was yanked off the iPlayer and then returned after they made some edits to it, and I wouldn't be surprised if those are the only edits available to buy now.

Though its all moot anyway as the entire lot was released on DVD at the height of its popularity in any event (and when news came out that the show has been pulled off the iPlayer, the DVDs soon sold out!)

Fawlty Towers was the other obvious example in this category, as a 2013 repeat of The Germans episode chopped out the Major's ramblings about the cricket team of India. - but doing that sort of defeated the point of the Major's speech...

(08-05-2024, 07:51 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Considering the word in question was "suck"... why would it be edited out?

Ah, I heard the word rhyming with "suck" and starting with an "f".

(08-05-2024, 08:11 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Why would that be on My5? You probably mean ITV Hub or whichever ITV station had inherited those repeats at the time (Mr Bean used to air on ITV3 in proper 4:3 and then when it moved to ITV2 had a fatal accident with a pan and scan machine)

Back in 2013, Channel 5 got hold of a couple of episodes of Mr Bean. While I didn't see the episodes on the tv, I was able to watch them afterwards on My5.

Please excuse late replies. 

We seem to have a case of Sky Mix censoring ( as in not showing it ) an episode of Stargate SG1 today .

They were due to show Ep15 of Season 9 Elthon but instead showed some Dashcam footage programme but are scheduled to show Ep 16 tomorrow .

I presume that someone in the last day or so thought aspects of the plot were too close to home .

Talking about missing episodes, with Channel 4 using Everybody Loves Raymond as early morning content, they have always been forced to skip a Series 6 episode called Marie's Sculpture (en.wikipedia.org ). Put simply, given the nature of the episode there's no way of editing it coherently, althoug the sculpture doesn't seem that bad in the still shown here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agemame's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

Have they made that available on demand? Usually such episodes would end up getting an overnight airing.

It is, yes - Series 6 Episode 5 if you care to look. Interestingly, it doesn't have an Audio Description track like the others, as with them knowing it would never air on the main channel it looks like the never bothered. No guidance note, though.

In a similar vein, we regularly show an episode of Frasier dropped from syndication in the US, "Dr Nora". Apparently Dr Laura Schlessinger (on whom Nora is very loosely based) objected to jokes being made that implied she didn't have a psychology degree and that she had a toxic relationship with her mother. Paramount (who distributed her talk show) capitulated and removed it from airing in the US.