Weather Pres

I dont know how popular its going to be, but its very interesting that KCTV 5 is launching a dedicated weather programme. I cant remember a local tv station having a singular dedicated weather programme. It makes sense for its location. (oklahoma city would make more sense) But i find this developement interesting. Apparently it will eventually move to the streaming channels. But it shows another way in which tv stations are monetizing the talent they have. Currently stations across the middle are during marathon tornado coverage. we are talking 5-7 or more hours of live rolling coverage. SO its not unsual.

www.adweek.com 

(06-05-2024, 04:27 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I dont know how popular its going to be, but its very interesting that KCTV 5 is launching a dedicated weather programme. I cant remember a local tv station having a singular dedicated weather programme.

WOIO produce a daily 30 minute weather programme for WUAB, CW 43 in Cleveland which launched this year. It features at least four meteorologists per edition with in-depth features and detailed forecasts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • mouseboy33

(06-05-2024, 11:06 PM)London Lite Wrote:  WOIO produce a daily 30 minute weather programme for WUAB, CW 43 in Cleveland which launched this year. It features at least four meteorologists per edition with in-depth features and detailed forecasts.

So clearly this is a new revenue stream for stations.

Anyway. Its still fascinating to watch Live tornado chases done by helicopter. Its fairly common place in Oklahoma for decades. But its still wild to see the chopper being pulled in and wobbling in around. If you've never seen it. OKC is having a tornado outbreak today and all their OKC stations have their choppers in the air. Each stations chopper footage is supplement with a army of live chaser vehicles rolling out across the entire state streaming live footage back into the station. At the stations, particularly at KWTV their weather centre have a team of meteorologists assisting their chief meteorologist on air. Often taking direction from him about which feeds graphics or radar elements to take live on air. Quite possibly some of the most compelling an fascinating unscripted live news coverage anywhere. Because you never know whats going to happen at any moment.
KOCO 5 (Sky5)
KFOR 4 (Chopper 4)
KWTV 9 (SkyNews 9) (broadcast the worlds first live helicopter tornado in 1981)

Here is a little report I found about SkyNews 9
www.youtube.com